Sunday, June 8, 2008

Just an Update

A big shout out to Kyle!

I came here to specifically give you a shout out and surprise you. But since you decided to request the shout out in the previous post, that kind of ruins the surprise.

I used to have so much to say on here, but I have just been so damned busy trying to make a friggin' sale. It's horrible out there. eBay and Amazon really ruined a good thing.

So, I have most of that brochure finished. It has evolved though and turned into a major undertaking. Originally, it was two pieces of paper stapled together. Really simple. But long story short, it turned into a 3 ring binder that has about a dozen double sided pages in it.

The goal is to supply 2 or 3 of them to the local cell phone stores. One with prices, the rest without. Then, they can leave it on the counter for customers to look at while they wait. This will get ALL the products I carry into everybody's hands. In retrospect, it makes perfect sense.

Just so we are clear, I didn't know a damned thing about cell phones when I started. I was trying to sell MP3 players to a cell phone store back then. It just just sort of made more sense to change my focus to what my customers would want. This goes back to one of my earliest posts on here. It doesn't matter what you sell, as long as it does sell at a profit.

One of the things I learned was that I was not charging enough. I was really trying to walk away with a dirt cheap price and look better than whoever they regularly buy from. But it took me a few orders of not making what I wanted before I realized I had to double what I originally thought. Between shipping, payments (Western Union), returns and haggling, I was just hurting myself. Not to even mention the time and gas driving around (Damn, I just mentioned it anyway).

In the end, I just came to realize that they were just as happy to have another place to buy from, even if I wasn't their number one.

OK, so that's where I am these days. Working on that book and making my one or two sales a day from my eBay store. Which is sad since I used to sell like 8 MP3 players a day until that "Best Match" garbage started. Now, I don't even bother listing auctions anymore, no one sees them anyway.

1 comment:

-Kyle Out said...

Hey,
Just wanted to let you know that since the Best Match came out my Seller Dashboard tells me I am "Lowered" Because of my god awful high shipping charges "9.95 first item 4.95 each additional" God I'm a con artist, but anyways my sales have about doubled, I was doing about $100 weekly (not including some of my more expensive items) now I am doing about $2000 weekly.
Not to bring down your theory that your not getting hurt by the new system, I don't believe eBay has perfected it, but will they really say they really fucked up in the beginning anyways?

Web Statistics Online Marketing